Wayne Wesley Johnson dba Wannadu, LLC

"WORLD CLASS GUITARIST"...Internationally recognized, this award winning guitarist performs on acoustic, electric, nylon & steel string guitars and guitar synthesizer in a variety of musical styles and genres. A pioneer of the 'New Sound of Santa Fe' tm and 'Jazzamenco' tm., the artist performs in thumbpicking, fingerstyle, and flatpicking styles...playing jazz, world, new age, latin & rumba flamenca and with classical techniques.

Name:
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States

Friday, August 18, 2006

Universal Picking technique used in College Guitar Class Instruction


I've been teaching Guitar at the Santa Fe Community College for a little while now. Last semester I introduced the new Strum N Comfort Sharktooth pick system to my class of 13 students. It's a new concept developed by my friend Greg Atkin of Anaheim, CA. It was well received. Some of my students actually walk around with the pick strapped to their thumb, all day long. I know I actually slept with mine on one night. I had it right where I wanted it, and didn't want to lose my frame of reference when practicing. It sounded and felt that good. At least you know I wasn't sleeping alone. They say musicians have their girlfriends, but I had my pick.

So much for the humor. The Sharktooth Pick system consists of a neoprene sleeve that either a Sharktooth pick or your own favorite flatpick for that matter, sits in and the sleeve wraps around your thumb to "strap" your pick to your thumb. This yields a hybrid of a flat pick or a thumbpick, which permits playing in hybrid or "crossover" styles. For example, one minute you could be playing fingerstyle, or thumbpickin a Travis/Atkins type of tune, and the next minute ripping out some lyrical jazz riffs with a flatpick approach, all with the one system.

This technique known as "Univeral Crossover Picking" is being taught in colleges now, and I'm pleased to be one of the first instructors in the country that is bringing it to the attention of my guitar students.

Strum N Comfort has some other great products, too...like the "hybrid" pick system which permits for ease of strumming too with a strapped on pick ...and my favorite the "Flick Your Pick"..... This allows me to "roll" my small jazz/mandolin pick up and out of the way for fingerstyle techniques, and when I want a pick for jazz soloing, I just flick it back into position with my index finger. It works incredibly well. There's no end to the ways each individual guitarist can use the Strum and Comfort products to foster their own style of performing.

BTW....try the new DAVA picks with the Strum n Comfort sleeves, too. They're pretty comfortable and awesome. You can find a link to their site here,too.

Check out www.strum-n-comfort.com
If you contact Greg...tell him WWJ sent you.

Check out www.davapicks.com
Tell Dave I sent you.

Dealer Inquiries are Invited.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home